Hi! I am a Software Engineer (MSc) with 8+ years of experience and a passion for leading teams to build reliable systems for high-potential applications.
Tokyoite since 2014 and not afraid of flying.
I love designing and implementing systems that produce measurable value to their stakeholders.
I also like a bunch of other topics that help me keep an eye on the wider picture:
delay-tolerant networking; distributed and fault-tolerant systems; data compression; compilers and runtimes;
machine learning and data mining; information visualization and user-machine interfaces; policy and IP.
I believe in the power of open source and its communities.
IT architectures and development
Particular focus in reliability, scalability and security issues.
4+ years experience as team leader (3+ years in multicultural environments).
Speaker at conferences, meetups and internal tech-talks (Cloud Foundry Summit NA, Golang Tokyo Meetup). Internal trainer.
Frameworks, platforms and tools — POSIX, LLVM, Cloud Foundry, Bosh, Apache Kafka, WebSphere MQ, ELK, Hazelcast, Redis, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Wireshark, NS2, Git
Additional knowledge include embedded development for industrial automation on AVR/Arduino microcontrollers, RF and electronics test equipment.
Rakuten Inc., Tokyo, Japan
Senior Cloud Engineer, Project Lead
since May 2014
Technical lead of the Rakuten Cloud Foundry PaaS team (8 members in 3 regions).
- Main tasks: designed and led the implementation and delivery of the Linux container-based hybrid-cloud Cloud Foundry PaaS;
defined the team values, processes and trained new team members; technical evangelism and user onboarding.
- Major accomplishments: rolled out the platform and assisted the migration of ~500 applications from a different legacy platform;
delivered the platform for 2+ years with no SLA breaches; lead growth through user acquisition to ~1k applications;
significantly improved operator experience and workload.
- Technologies used: Cloud Foundry, Bosh, Concourse, Docker, runc, vSphere, Openstack,
Microsoft Azure, Apache Kafka, NATS, Consul, ELK, Secor, Riemann, InfluxDB, Grafana, nginx, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Linux;
internal components implemented in Golang and Ruby; supported application teams working in Java, PHP, Node.
Blue Reply, Turin, Italy
Consultant, ICT architect
July 2011—March 2014
ICT architect at Fiat/Chrysler group
- EAI/SOA architect for the Fiat/Chrysler global convergence projects. Proposal, analysis and agile development of a family of automated monitoring/alerting tools for the Fiat ESB infrastructure.
- IT architecture and go-live support of a Siemens Simatic IT MES solution for the new Fiat plants of Kragujevac (Serbia), Grugliasco (Italy), Melfi (Italy) and Pernambuco (Brazil).
- Drafting and implementation of common policies and guidelines regarding ALM, CI and integration patterns for Fiat applications.
- War room activities: debugging support and performance troubleshooting.
- Technologies used: Websphere MQ, Spazio MFT/s, Java, Simatic IT MES, .NET, MSSQL Server, Linux, Windows, vSphere
Strayorange, Turin, Italy
Co-founder, full-stack software engineer
Freelance creative group I co-founded in 2007. In two years time we grown from working for small local businesses to international clients.
- Cross-media projects development (graphics, photography, corporate identity, Internet presence).
Open-source contributor and community experience.
- Developed and maintained ImageTweak, a XUL add-on for the Mozilla Firefox web browser. Downloaded 2M+ times and localized in 20+ languages.
- Contributed patches to open-source projects such as Mozilla Firefox, the LLVM compiler framework, Golang, Redis, Riemann, Bitcoin Core and various Wordpress plugins.
Minteos, Turin, Italy
2007 (6 months)
Feasibility study and prototyping of a low-cost wireless mesh wildfire alarm
system based on the recognition of the infrasonic sound spectrum of wildfires.
Technologies used: Matlab, C++, AVR μCs and prototyping boards
Erasmus exchange MSc degree student
TKK/HUT/Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland
Minor: Machine learning and data mining
Telecommunication engineering, BSc degree
Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy
Final grade: 94⁄110
Italian (mother tongue), English (academic proficiency, IELTS 7.5, July 2011). Basic knowledge of Japanese, French, German and Spanish.
PRLP 2004—2005, PRLP 2005—2006, PRLP 2006—2007, Erasmus 2009—2010