Hi! I am a Software Engineer (MSc) with 12+ years of experience and a passion for leading teams to build reliable systems for high-potential applications.
Tokyoite since 2014 and not afraid of flying.
I love designing and implementing systems that produce measurable value to their stakeholders.
I also like a bunch of other topics that help me keep an eye on the wider picture:
delay-tolerant networking; distributed and fault-tolerant systems; data compression; compilers and runtimes;
machine learning and data mining; information visualization and user-machine interfaces; policy and IP.
I believe in the power of open source and its communities.
IT architectures and development
Particular focus on reliability, scalability, and security aspects - including from an organizational perspective.
5+ years experience as team leader across multiple companies and countries.
Speaker at conferences, meetups and internal tech-talks (Cloud Foundry Summit NA, Golang Tokyo Meetup). Internal trainer.
Frameworks, platforms and tools — Linux, Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry, Bosh, Apache Kafka, ELK, Hazelcast, Redis, MySQL, PostgreSQL, POSIX, LLVM, Wireshark, NS2, Git
Additional knowledge include embedded development for industrial automation on AVR/Arduino microcontrollers, RF and electronics test equipment.
Mercari, Inc. — Tokyo, Japan
Microservices Architect, Principal Engineer
since January 2019
Architect for the new generation of backends and of the transition from Mercari's monolithic architecture. Working with 100+ engineers across 10+ teams.
- Main responsibilities: definition of organizational, architectural and microservice implementation guidelines; API gateway and middlewares ownership; design reviews, code reviews, and production readiness checks.
- Primary technologies: Kubernetes, Istio, Terraform, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Golang, Protobuf, gRPC, CircleCI.
Rakuten, Inc. — Tokyo, Japan
Senior Cloud Engineer, Project Lead
May 2014—January 2019
Technical lead of the Rakuten Cloud Foundry PaaS team (8 members in 3 regions).
- Main responsibilities: designed and led the implementation and delivery of the Linux container-based hybrid-cloud Cloud Foundry PaaS;
defined the team values, processes and trained new team members; technical evangelism and user onboarding.
- Major accomplishments: rolled out the platform and assisted the migration of ~500 applications from a different legacy platform;
delivered the platform for 2+ years with no SLA breaches; lead growth through user acquisition to ~1k applications;
significantly improved operator experience and workload.
- Technologies used: Cloud Foundry, Bosh, Concourse, Docker, vSphere, Openstack,
Microsoft Azure, Apache Kafka, NATS, Consul, ELK, Secor, Riemann, InfluxDB, Grafana, nginx, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Linux;
internal components implemented in Golang and Ruby; supported application teams working in Java, PHP, Node.
Blue Reply — Turin, Italy
Consultant, ICT architect
July 2011—March 2014
ICT architect at Fiat/Chrysler group
- EAI/SOA architect for the Fiat/Chrysler global convergence projects. Proposal, analysis and agile development of a family of automated monitoring/alerting tools for the Fiat ESB infrastructure.
- IT architecture and go-live support of a Siemens Simatic IT MES solution for the new Fiat plants of Kragujevac (Serbia), Grugliasco (Italy), Melfi (Italy) and Pernambuco (Brazil).
- Drafting and implementation of common policies and guidelines regarding ALM, CI and integration patterns for Fiat applications.
- War room activities: debugging support and performance troubleshooting.
- Technologies used: Websphere MQ, Spazio MFT/s, Java, Simatic IT MES, .NET, Microsoft SQL Server, vSphere
Strayorange — Turin, Italy
Co-founder, full-stack software engineer
Freelance creative group I co-founded in 2007. In two years time we grown from working for small local businesses to international clients.
- Cross-media projects development (graphics, photography, corporate identity, Internet presence).
Open-source contributor and community experience.
- Contributed patches to open-source projects such as Mozilla Firefox, the LLVM compiler framework, Golang, Redis, Riemann, Bitcoin Core and various Wordpress plugins.
- Developed and maintained ImageTweak, a XUL add-on for the Mozilla Firefox web browser. Downloaded 2M+ times and localized in 20+ languages.
Minteos — Turin, Italy
2007 (6 months)
Feasibility study and prototyping of a low-cost wireless mesh wildfire alarm
system based on the recognition of the infrasonic sound spectrum of wildfires.
Technologies used: Matlab, C++, AVR μCs and prototyping boards
Telecommunication engineering, MSc degree
Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy
Thesis: Compiler optimizations based on call-graph flattening (supervisor prof. S. Rivoira)
Final grade: 110⁄110
Erasmus exchange MSc degree student
TKK/HUT/Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland
Minor: Machine learning and data mining
Telecommunication engineering, BSc degree
Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy
Final grade: 94⁄110
Italian (mother tongue), English (academic proficiency, IELTS 7.5, July 2011). Basic knowledge of Japanese, French, German and Spanish.
PRLP 2004—2005, PRLP 2005—2006, PRLP 2006—2007, Erasmus 2009—2010